Pages - Menu

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Parties with a Purpose

This blog post is courtesy of Passport Party Project supporter, professional journalist and personal blogger Monica of Black Broad Abroad:  One woman's journey.  Come along for the ride.  (The name of Monica's blog always makes me giggle.  Clever.)
Photo courtesy of Monica, Black Broad Abroad
***
It was just a small gesture but one that had an impact: When I first moved to Boston from my hometown of Detroit, three new girlfriends suggested I get a passport.
"Just in case," said one. "You never know when you might need it."
It was advice that paid off. Several months later, I attended my brother's wedding in Rome. Not long after, I was going to Paris ALONE! Although I had traveled to much of the United States and had worked in several states as a journalist, I'd never had a passport. Where I was from, I didn't know anyone who was traveling traveled abroad. What I quickly discovered was that I was one of few of my colleagues who didn't. Looking back, was I the only?
In the several years since that time, I've traveled to 30 or so countries....  Read more here.